Professores e educadores
Given security constraints and the harsh reality of confinement facilities and the psychosocial specificities of inmates, prison education programs need qualified educators, who must be dedicated teachers.
It takes a lot of resiliency on the part of teachers to overcome the obstacles presented by correntional environments, with these educators requiring special training and orientation to the peculiarities of teaching in scenarios where security tends to be the top priority.
Given the specific nature of teaching imprisoned individuals (youngsters or adults), teachers’ training is crucial for the success of learning initiatives within corrections.
An accurate and assertive training of teachers that work in prison settings surely increases the quality of prison teaching, the interest of teachers towards prison education, and helps in the quality assurance of learning.
At IPS, we’re highly qualified to develop prison education and education in juvenile justice contexts, by means of providing tailored resources through common initiatives and collaboration.
Thereby, in this area of expertise we develop:
- innovative induction tools for the initial and further training of adult educators teaching in prison;
- Grundtvig training courses to improve the availability and quality of training courses available to adult education teachers interested in prison education;
- modular training for preparing adult learning professionals in tackling the challenges of having inmates as students;
- key competency profiles for the adult learning professionals working in the correctional system;
- adjustments on the modular training so it can be used by the educational departments of prisons as first day’s introductory training for new teachers;
- e-Learning courses on educational programs, CAF, teacher training and e-tutoring;
- specific competencies profile for education professionals when working with children in juvenile justice contexts;
- a virtual environment for education professionals working in juvenile justice.