On the 23rd of October 2018, the ICPA (International Corrections and Prisons Association) members who were present at the Annual General Meeting and Conference, that took place in Montreal, Canada, elected the new Board of Directors.
One year after being honoured with an ICPA Excellence Award, at the ICPA gala dinner in London, Pedro das Neves, CEO of IPS Innovative Prison Systems, Founder and Director of the JUSTICE TRENDS Magazine, once again, deserved the trust of ICPA members.
Delighted with the result of the vote, Pedro das Neves declared: “It will be a privilege to serve as a board director of the ICPA, promoting the advancement of corrections worldwide, honouring the mandate of four years for which I’ve been elected.”
The new Board of Directors is composed by:
- President: Peter van der Sande, former DG of the Dutch Prison Service, Netherlands
- Vice-president: Peter Severin, Commissioner of Corrective Services, New South Wales, Australia
- Treasurer: Diane Williams, President Emeritus of Safer Foundation, USA
- Ordinary board members:
- Emiliano Blanco, National Director of the Federal Penitentiary system, Argentina
- Desmond Chin, Commissioner of Corrections, Singapore
- Leann Bertsch, Director of the North Dakota Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, USA
- Pedro das Neves, Executive Director of IPS Innovative Prison Systems, Portugal
- Raphael Hamunyela, Commissioner-General of the Namibian Correctional Service, Namibia
- Ofra Klinger, Lieutenant General, Commissioner of the Israel Prison Service
- Gabriel Dorin Muresan, Head of Security, National Administration of Prisons, Romania
- Jennifer Oades, Chairperson, Parole Board of Canada, Canada
- Michael Spurr, Chief Executive Officer, HM Prison and Probation Service, England and Wales
- Steven Van de Steene, Senior Correctional Technology Consultant, Smart Corrections BVBA, Belgium
- Esa Vesterbacka, General Director, Criminal Sanctions Agency (Prisons and Probation), Finland
- Bernard Warner, Senior Vice President of Corrections, MTC Management & Training Corporation
- Johnson Byabashaija, Commissioner General of Prisons, Uganda
About the ICPA – International Corrections and Prisons Association
ICPA is a worldwide organisation for networking correctional professionals and practitioners. Its members include senior management, heads of service, correctional staff and prison officers, business entrepreneurs, consultants, academics and researchers from a wide range of backgrounds in the Public, Private, Non-Profit, Voluntary and Academic sectors.
Both individuals and agencies can become a member of ICPA. Agency members include National Prison and Correctional Services, government departments, technology solutions companies, service providers, NGO’s, non-profits, charitable and voluntary organisations.
ICPA is an innovative, learning platform which enhances international and inter-agency co-operation. We actively promote policies and standards for humane and effective correctional policies and practices, assisting in their development and implementation.
We believe that imprisonment is a last resort and support the development of alternative sanctions and community corrections. We believe in integrity and professionalism, the sharing of ideas and partnerships. We believe in the capacity for positive change in individuals, their dignity and the duty to protect their rights.
For further information about the ICPA, please visit www.icpa.ca