Joint visit IPS-CGL to new prisons in Belgium
Representatives from IPS and CGL had the chance to understand the “2012-2016 Belgian masterplan on a more humane prison infrastructure” in practice when visited the new Beveren and Leuze prisons and Gent Psychiatric Forensic Centre that took place on the past 11th, 12th and 13th of June.
The 2012-2016 Belgian masterplan on a more humane prison infrastructure offers a solution to the problem of overcrowding in Belgian prisons. The new social investments have been Designed – Built – Financed – and now Maintained in a joint partnership between public and private partners under a PPP contracting scheme.
The plan includes five key action points:
– renovation to recover lost capacity
– renovation ensuring more humane and safe living conditions
– construction of additional cells on existing sites to remedy overcrowding
– construction of new facilities to address the increased need. Also useful as a capacity “buffer” in order to renovate old facilities under secure conditions
– construction of six new prisons to replace dilapidated facilities too.